Saturday, January 3, 2009

Irritation

Nothing pisses me off more than people making all sorts of assumptions about me.

Yes, I do play World of Warcraft.

No, that does not mean I spend my time raiding.
No, that does not mean I neglect real life responsibilities for it.
No, that does not mean I lack social skills.
No, that does not mean I play it to excess.

Most people simply do not understand that a game can be taken as a hobby like any other. Everybody has hobbies, whether it is watching TV or going out to parties. Don't judge me because I have a different hobby than yours.

I only play World of Warcraft for the friends I have in the game and for the challenge that Player Versus Player (PVP) combat entails. I play it the same way I used to play real time strategy games, fighting games, or first person shooters. I enjoy competition in games.

I really wish people would mind their own business. PVP in World of Warcraft right now is ridiculously imbalanced so it's barely even playable. When I opt not to spend time with particular people, it's not because I would rather play World of Warcraft, it's usually because I'd rather not spend time with that particular person. I would rather stay home and read a book than spend time with most people.

This rant has been brought to you by my roommate inviting over a friend and asking if I wanted to go with them to eat. I declined because it's the middle of the afternoon and I don't particularly like eating at peculiar hours. Automatically, my roommate's friend asks "is he raiding?"

I don't know what my roommate tells him about my life, but that comment irritated me. If I had any interest in making friends with this jackass, that interest disappeared right then.

No comments: