Tuesday, March 31, 2009

OnLive

As you may have heard, there's now a company generating some buzz about how they will revolutionize the video game industry by running video games in a cloud of computers and streaming the video to users. This would free users from needing major hardware (consoles or PCs), would eliminate piracy, and usher in a new age in video games.

After a little bit of critical thinking, I realized that their claims could not possibly be met. I was going to write up a nice long explanation when I had time, but I stumbled across this article that pretty much sums up all the technical reasons why their claims are pretty far fetched. Their writeup is better than mine would have been, but I would have put more emphasis on the impossibility of OnLive overcoming the basic latency inherent in home internet connections.

No comments: